Skip to main content

The PsychCafe
Share, connect, and learn.
Here are some more of my most recent musings:

I am learning something about boundaries I never knew. I knew they were for my protection, but I did not know that they could provide me with a sense of self, a sense of place, and a sense of belonging to another person and in this world. I am amazed. I think I too could spend a whole session just talking about them and wanting to know more about their existence and how they define my being. I can hear it now; “Oooh, tell me more about how I _can’t_ be a part of your personal life (insert T’s name here).” Ok, I know it’s not really like that because boundaries actually mean that I DO have a place in her life and she has a place in mine. But it is a place nonetheless, and in that place there needs to be boundaries just as there are boundaries in every relationship (I never really was aware of the significance of that before.) But it makes so much sense now. (Insert light bulb here) Big Grin <--- slow learner.

It also makes sense that I want to belong to my T as mother/child because of the strong limbic connections I am making. Though it seems slightly unfair that I am the only one who has to suffer with the sadness of desiring and longing for something more that I can’t have with her.Frowner But I need to focus on what I can have and I really have something valuable and good, something very healthy and most beneficial for my needs. It’s good to know that no matter how I may beg and plead for something to extend outside the boundaries that she won’t ever succumb to that, yet I am still allowed to be free in my expressions of my needs and feelings and to explore their nature and what they mean.

Boundaries don’t change my relationship or proximity to her as I feared they would, they have always been there, I just never got close enough to see them before. I was always too afraid that they implied rejection, but now I understand that they do not, instead they are a supreme protection of my place with her. (Boundaries contain us in a relationship, not seperate us) Whereas rejection is losing something that you are entitled to, which is something I’ve experienced my entire life. Protection is something I’ve never had before now. She does not take away anything that I am entitled to or that belongs in this relationship. I trust that implicitly and that gives me the freedom to explore my feelings openly even when they tend to feel like they are about her; even when they feel shameful or embarrassing. They are my feelings and I need to feel them and she allows me that. Where else can you find that sort of trust outside of our therapeutic relationship?Once again I believe that I have the best of her that is possible to have without losing what I need most from her. Boundaries add to that feeling of a tangible connection and closeness even when I am not in her presence, because I know where I belong now. (Insert ::happy tears:: emoticon here)

I hope I am not repeating myself or what anyone else has already spoken of on this subject. But it just feels so good that I want to share because I know boundaries are something we often try to avoid because of their negative connotation. But they are good. They are really good.

Thanks for listening. Big Grin
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Heh. JM, even if you were repeating yourself or someone had said it before, it's awesome to hear it again. Smiler I'm happy for you, if that makes sense: hearing you talk about boundaries in a healthy way makes me think happily about how boundaries really _work_ when they're healthy and safe, which is how our Ts like to keep it. Smiler
quote:
Boundaries don’t change my relationship or proximity to her as I feared they would, they have always been there, I just never got close enough to see them before. I was always too afraid that they implied rejection, but now I understand that they do not, instead they are a supreme protection of my place with her. (Boundaries contain us in a relationship, not seperate us) Whereas rejection is losing something that you are entitled to, which is something I’ve experienced my entire life. Protection is something I’ve never had before now. She does not take away anything that I am entitled to or that belongs in this relationship. I trust that implicitly and that gives me the freedom to explore my feelings openly even when they tend to feel like they are about her; even when they feel shameful or embarrassing. They are my feelings and I need to feel them and she allows me that. Where else can you find that sort of trust outside of our therapeutic relationship?Once again I believe that I have the best of her that is possible to have without losing what I need most from her. Boundaries add to that feeling of a tangible connection and closeness even when I am not in her presence, because I know where I belong now. (Insert ::happy tears:: emoticon here)

Wow...JM... what you wrote there is just awesome. That is the best positive slant I've ever read about boundaries. Especially the part about them not being a rejection, which is how I've looked at them. Like if I cannot be a part of his life he is rejecting me. Like if I can't hug him it's a rejection of me. Instead, it is the supreme protection of me. That is also something I've never feltin the past. The confidence that my attachment person (read: parent) would protect me. That I would be safe. My T makes me feel entirely safe and my feelings, whatever they are, are also safe to express with him. More now than before because he seems to be struggling less with the concept of my transference.

And I do agree that I get the best of him that is possible, within the therapeutic relationship, to have. And although I do rail against the boundaries at times. I feel blessed to have what I do have with him.

Thank you for writing that post. It has really made me think.

TN
Yeah, incognito, it was. I don't wanna hijack this awesome boundaries thread, but it went really great.

I've been working on balancing listening to other people and drawing them out (which I'm apparently moderately good at) with talking about my own stuff (which I suck at). And it's a pattern for me: this board is actually the first place, and the place where I practice, talking about my own stuff. It's a fight every single time, and I feel wrong and like I'm taking up other people's valuable time when I do it.

So a consequence of this is, if I'm not with a group full of fantastic sensitive folks like ya'll who sometimes ask me questions and seem terribly interested, I don't talk about myself, or I bring up my own stuff only to talk about someone else's stuff. It's a pattern; it can also sometimes make me "disappear" in a group, like it's done in group therapy - for the last 3-4 weeks I've disclosed stuff and it's gotten ignored (as in, no one said or paid any attention to what I'd said, or acknowledged stories I'd told, etc, other than to continue the topic). And I do it in many many friendships, too, particularly my friends who are often in crisis. Pattern.

So I actually managed to talk to the group about this, and I felt incredibly relieved. They were of course shocked that it was happening, but I waited until it happened 3-4 times in-session before I pointed it out. Proof was clear. It's also clear that it's in something that I do or the way I talk - Tfella in session called it "mixed signals" about whether I wanted to talk or not.

I hate getting blamed for 'being ignored,' but it's clear since it repeats in so many contexts where I'm the only constant that I'm doing it somehow.

So, fantastically useful session. I have much to think about.
JM,
That was an awesome post on boundaries,especially being able to take in that they are what actually define the relationship and provide safety. I remember my T saying once that no relationship works well without clear boundaries.And you're right I think with our Ts we so often see them in a negative light (I'm am really struggling with this right now)that we forget they are the only thing that allows us to have the relationship we need to heal. Thanks for sharing.

Wynne,
That's really great that you were able to bring up that issue in group, it was very brave of you. I'm even more impressed that you were able to step back and be willing to consider your part in it (a skill that I only achieve with a great deal of difficulty).

And I know you didn't ask for reassurance (it would be putting people to too much trouble. Big Grin)but you are not at taking up people's valuable time or asking for too much attention. AT ALL. So although I know it may feel scary for you, it's not happening.

AG
quote:
It sounds like you and your T share a very special relationship and I'm glad you are appreciating it.

The woman is absolutely generous with her heart and I feel very blessed that she is my T.

I am glad that what I said about boundaries had such a positive impact on others. I have to say that I am still amazed by it myself. Smiler
ok maybe this is not a boundary thing. i atuali not read all you guys worte (cuz you talk a lot HAHA! i'm teasing ok). last night I were talking to me T and whether or not people likes me. she say she do. but i told her she HAS to cuz we pay her to. but her say we pay her for her time but not to like me. that were interesting to say huh. i gotta think more on it.

her has clear boundaries and they suck! HAHA! cuz like her won't come home with me like i ask her to and stuff Frowner

samy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.