Skip to main content

The PsychCafe
Share, connect, and learn.
I have found some most interesting notes on resistance in the latest book i've been reading and I thought I would share some excerpts from the chapter on Resistance here (I hope that it's ok to share a substantial amount of text from this book, there were just too many good quotes!... I'll include a link to the book on amazon too).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Betwee...id=1338112704&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Between-...id=1338112565&sr=8-1

Between person and person: toward a dialogical pshychoterapy - by Richard Hycner, Maurice Friedman

"Resistance is the residue of an attempted dialogue cut short in mid sentence."

"All so- called resistance is a manifestation of just how vulnerable this person feels. It is an essential form of self-protectiveness."

"Until the therapist can appreciate someone's resistance, his self-protectiveness, the therapist hasnt really fully entered into the client's experiental world."

"The initial task of the dialogical therapist is to appreciate the wisdom of the resistance. This is a shift in attitude from the traditional perspective. ... Along with this appreciation, the therapist must also recognise how limiting resistance can be. This is obvious, yet needs to be focused on primarily later in the process of the therapy. To make it primary early on is to make the therapy a battleground, with a winner and a loser rather than it being a healing endeavor. This is a difficult dance that the therapist is called upon to engage in. It is a dance with the client and with his resistance. It has a rhythm all its own - once often difficult to move with. It is participated in gingerly, for there are many potential missteps."

"It is necessary to teach the client that to impose external goals on himself to overcome his resistance paradoxically guarantees increased resistance. The first step in this process is for the therapist to help the client to experience his resistance. Once the client has an experiential sense of his resistance, it is then necessary to help the client to begin to acknowledge, to appreciate, to accept the resistance as an integral part of one's self."

"The therapist needs to see in the resistance its creative value. ... No real progress can be made in therapy until the client is willing to first of all acknowledge, then to appreciate, the wisdom of his resistance: that there is something invaluable about the resistant behavior."

"Resistance is not to be castigated, but rather to be embraced. Resistance is not to be broken through, but rather to be incorporated. The only way to get where you want to be is to accept where you are, even if where you are isn't where you want to be. What is required for growth is an integration of seemingly opposed polarities. It is the paradoxical valuing of all of one's self, including those parts perceived as undesirable, that begins the road to recovery."

"A fundamental question that needs to be asked of the client is: "How is this resistant behavior supportive to you?" "

"A client's resistance is often an aspect of what is traditionally called transference. However, this does not mean, as was sometimes thought, that the client superimposes previous experiences on the therapeutic situation irrespective of who the therapist is, or how he responds. Transference resistance is very much a function of the between, the meeting of therapist and client. There is no resistance without another person to be resistant to - either present or imagined to be present.... A therapist's lack of responsiveness, or a particular kind of response may elicit or increase resistance."

"Resistance is a as much an experience within the therapeutic relationship contributed to in part by the style of the therapist, as it is a dynamic process within the patient. Resistance is a natural consequence of the transaction between the patient's characteristic modes of relatedness and the analyst's therapeutic style and skill."

"One of the soul-searching questions that needs to be asked in every psychotherapy is : "Who is being resistant: the client - or the therapist?" Often, it is both. The client's resistance is often exacerbated by the therapists's own resistance. "

"It is the creative task of the therapist to be able to meet the client at the point of his resistance. All resistance is on one hand avoidance of some behavior, yet on the other had is also contact with oneself intrapsychically: it is contact with earlier defensive needs while concurrently being inter-personal contact - circuitous as it might be. Circuitous because it is contact through conflict. ... It's importance is underlined by the reality that it is precisely at this point that others have abandoned this person because of the this seemingly insoluble conflict."

"Perhaps it is the greatest challenge the therapist faces - the challenge of genuinely "being with" someone who is experienced as oppositional."

"The challenge of the therapist is to meet the client at that point of contact, in a manner that encompasses that resistance, rather than threatens it. It is to genuinely see the resistance as a point of contact between rather than as merely an oppositional force against. ... It is a task that may become a shared endeavor of therapist and client."

"Joining with is the next movement beyond contact at the point of resistance. ... In joining with the resistance, the therapist is standing on the side of the client's fearful self. ... It is asking the client's real self - almost like asking a frightened child - whether it's okay to enter into the sacred privacy of his hiding place."

"However, there is also the reality that sometimes resistance is just resistance. This initial effort of meeting at the point of the resistance, and of joining it, does not exclude larger efforts to challenge the resistance. In fact, such a challenging, perhaps a "supportive nudging", occurs only after the therapist has thoroughly understood the client's meanings and empathized with them and has established a bond with this person which provides the context for such a nudging."
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks puppet! There is a lot of really interesting stuff here. I have often wondered about why I feel so much resistance about certain things, and how Ts have to be so patient to get their clients past the resistance. I suppose it is just one more aspect of being part of the client-therapist relationship.
I've read this same article recently! I love it.

My Ts both ask me (I think when we transitioned a little in therapy a few months ago) how something 'serves me'. What it does for me now. They both honor that whatever it is helped me survive but challenge it gently and sometimes not so gently Smiler

I was having a particularly heated session with my T a couple weeks ago where I was really angry with her. She asked (like MID ANGER) what my anger at HER (which she felt was about more than it was and I'm not fully convinced but maybe) was serving me and I said 'I guess so I'm not angry at myself' and she said EXACTLY! and 'I can take THAT all day long for you'. But... I'm not entirely sure if she meant I could be mad at her... or just mad in general Wink My T treats anger like it is pretty much the best feeling in the universe to have. She's really good at dealing with it.

Anyways... I think it's been amazing in my therapy for my Ts to stop and challenge me now that I have a pretty good base with them. They still let me have some things and sometimes it is very frustrating while I'm trying to resist to have my defense poked but it's the only way (I think) to get where I'm trying to go.
i'm really glad others have found this useful too! i'm gonna try to bring some of this to my T's attention, although i might chicken out as it will be hard to do it without feeling like i'm telling her how to do her job (and that she currently kinda sucks... Eeker ) or maybe its more me...?!

STRM, it sounds like you're getting more and more answers as to why it wasnt working with old T and in comparison the new T sounds is just awesome!

coco and cat, glad u found this useful too! may we all have Ts who are patient and who think 'anger' is 'the best feeling in the universe to have' Big Grin

puppet
quote:
"One of the soul-searching questions that needs to be asked in every psychotherapy is : "Who is being resistant: the client - or the therapist?" Often, it is both. The client's resistance is often exacerbated by the therapists's own resistance. "

This quote resonates with something my T said to me once. He said he does not believe in resistance when his interns would complain about it to him. He would tell them that they just had not yet found a way to reach the client and to go back and try something new/different. He did not want his interns using that as an excuse for backing away from a patient.

It's impossible to maintain any resistance (for me anyway) to my T. He has his ways of getting around anything and he has the most devilish smile while he is doing it. That ends up making me laugh even if I am crying.

TN
I think my T is scared of me sometimes or a lot and that she has resistance. She has triggered me a lot in sessions and I then go off the deep end. I haven't told her - or felt comfortable enough to confide in her - that she has triggered me, haven't told her that I am feeling bad, haven't told her I have left sessions in a really bad state - then gone and done negative stuff. Go back to her next week and may or may not have told her. Or it will come out after a week or three and then we have to have calm, general sessions for a while - so I don't get triggered.

I have got 1 big pile of resistance and I am shutting down further - but I also see that my T is being super careful.

I don't think we are dancing to the same music right now. I think I have gone backward this past month.

SD
SD... what is your T doing that gives you the impression that she is scared of you? Are you projecting your own fears onto her? I think this is very important to discuss with her.

You may have not gone backwards but you are taking a breather from the heavy trauma issues. This is not a bad thing. Sometimes we have to stop and reestablish the feelings of safety and security and trust before venturing onwards. I have had those calm, nothing new being revealed sessions. For me they help to reinforce the relationship so I can eventually move ahead with T.

If you are like me it's your fear and anxiety that drives you into shutting down, or doing things that are not healthy for you to be doing. It's much better to take the chance to change your actions and instead confide in your T about the self-harmful behaviors. She can't help you if she had no idea what you are struggling with. I know it's scary but it's so worth it when they meet you with kindness and you feel cared for and about. It really does change things.

This too will pass, SD. Reach out to your T.

Hugs
TN

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.