Skip to main content

The PsychCafe
Share, connect, and learn.
Since I'm asking for opinions, here is another doosie. A friend of mine, who is in her early 50's just got the shock of her life when her 36 year old son showed her the boobies he's been growing because he is undertaking the act of becoming a WOMAN!!!

My friend, the Mom, couldn't be more of a "live and let live" type of person, but WOW!, this has gutted her. For the first time ever I saw ANGER on her face; anger and confusion, and frustration, and sorrow, and shame, and embarrassment. When she opened up to me and told me I was stunned and couldn't think of any words of encouragement.

How on earth does a mother come to terms that, no, her son isn't gay, he just wants to be a woman???

Thoughts?

And, yes, she has sought therapy, and is taking ANTI-DEPRESSANTS - and this is a person who is anti-Rx.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's pretty hard in this world to live up to the expectations of others, including family, and at the same time be who you are not caving in to demands, ideals and preconceived molds.
Sometimes, people feel differently inside even though they may not understand why, they may have hopes and dreams not the same as everyone else that they dare not share due to fear of judgment. Sometimes these people are real and courageous enough and will honor who their are enough to live their own life, follow their gut and meet their own needs no matter the reactions of others. This man is traveling a hard and often lonely road that demands tremendous courage, energy and strength.
It sounds like this will take some work for this particular mom, and maybe you, to accept.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.